Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Skinny Man 2011



I made myself get out of bed at 6 a.m. this past Saturday to check out the Skinny Man triathlon in Skaneatles. This is a race I plan on doing next summer so I wanted to see what the course looked like and to cheer on the racers.

Skinny Man is a 800 meter swim, 12 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. Piece or cake, right?

The swim looked a bit scary. I only had to swim 600 meters for Iron Girl; going from 600 to 800 meters is a big jump. However I have to remember that the bike is 6 miles less. Go figure; I am much stronger on the bike than I am on the swim.

After watching the swim waves go off, I ran to transition to watch people whip off their wetsuits and ride off. Right where I was standing, there was a girl who looked extremely organized and calm despite the chaos around her. I caught a "4" on her body marking so I thought she was 24. No, the girl was 14!! Talk about impressed.

Abbie is 10 now and I am strongly encouraging her to start out with the kids triathlon that CNY tri club offers during the summer. She has zero desire to now, but I am hoping that eventually my love of the sport will rub off on her. It would be a great daughter/mother bonding experience.

I already have my race schedule for 2012. Will post it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment